Blogging is not a new phenomenon. It was introduced as a term in the late 90’s but for entrepreneurs and business owners, it is just starting to become mainstream and be seen as a way to promote, brand and generate leads for your business.
I think blogging is going to become more and more relevant in 2016 and beyond. I decided to write a step-by-step guide on how business owners can get started with blogging.
What is a Blog?
First, I thought it was important to define blogging. I have a more “broad” definition for blogging that most. I don’t see it as only having a Blogger, WordPress or Medium account. I see it simply as the publishing of digital content. It’s a lot more of a broad definition than is traditionally thought. There’s two reasons for this broader definition:
- Some of the social media sites are building a way to blog within their platforms. Twitter was always defined as micro-blogging. LinkedIn has Pulse and even Facebook has Notes. (Side Note: Be on the lookout for Facebook’s Instant Articles launching in April)
- Blogging can take many different forms including video (YouTube), audio, and photos (Instagram). When I’m speaking with clients, I usually recommend blogging related to their strengths. Are you great at talking to people, maybe start a Podcast? Are you great in front of the camera, maybe start a YouTube channel?
3 Steps to Get Started
- Come up with a list of ideas for blog ideas. As a business owner or entrepreneur often your best way to use your blog is to educate your target market. I always believe the best way is to provide content and information that is simultaneously relevant to your target market and your business. So some blog topics can include questions that your clients might ask you.
- Choose a way to blog. There are many ways to blog including guest blogging. You can even blog on one of the existing platforms like LinkedIn, WordPress.com or Medium. If you have a blog on your website, you can also start to blog there.
- The most obvious step is just to start writing. While, it is always better to have a strategy and an approach. I think one of the biggest reasons that people don’t get started is because they think too much about it. Really, what you should be doing is to just start writing. Find a blog within your industry or target market and reach out to the editor and ask to guest blog there or add a blog to your website and just blog there.
If you thought this was interesting would love to see your comments below! Also check out my FREE Business Blogging Course at CEO Blog Nation.
Originally posted on Alexandria Small Business